Mission & Outreach
Help for the Homeless Hygiene Drive was in February and March. GSLC collected two huge boxes of donations.
The hygiene donations are distributed to crisis centers in the Green Bay Area.
“Open our ears, soften our hearts and strengthen our hands to serve you.”
Our Discipleship theme is “Go Serve.”
Social Outreach: Our congregation has a heartfelt understanding of ministry beyond our church walls. We support a variety of local/community ministries, as well as other wider-ranging ministries through the ELCA. Good Shepherd members realize that our brothers and sisters are not just the people we meet every day, but also people we may never meet.
Examples of outreach opportunities include:
- Feed My Starving Children: donations and packing food
- Samaritan’s Purse/Operation Christmas Child
- Salvation Army: serving meals and food pantry assistance
- Lutheran World Relief Donations
- Ecumenical Partnership for Housing: sponsor Mathew House in Green Bay
- Habitat for Humanity
The Mission and Outreach Team shall be comprised of one at-large member of the Congregation Council and as many members of the congregation as the team chooses. Each year after a Congregation Council representative has been assigned, the team shall elect a chairperson and a recorder from its membership. The Congregation Council representative will report from the Congregation Council any action that this team needs to take, and report to the Congregation Council on behalf of this team. The team shall meet regularly – monthly meetings are suggested.
The responsibilities and duties of the Mission and Outreach Team include, but are not limited to:
1. Plan and coordinate mission and outreach activities.
2. Research and recommend to the Congregation Council external ministries for funding through:
a. Special offering envelopes (mid-week Lenten services, Thanksgiving Eve, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day).
b. Special congregational appeals.
c. Free will offerings received.
3. Coordinate mission and outreach activities for ministries with which the congregation has entered into partnership agreements such as the Ecumenical Partnership for Housing, Feed My Starving Children, and any others.
4. Prepare and submit a budget request to the Executive Committee for anticipated mission and outreach expenses annually.
5. Oversee disbursement of the annual Mission and Outreach Team budget.