Evangelism & Membership
E&M Team Responsibilities
The Evangelism and Membership Team shall be comprised of one at-large member of the Congregation Council and as many members of the congregation as the team chooses. Each year after a Congregation Council representative has been assigned, the team shall elect a chairperson and a recorder from its membership. The Congregation Council representative will report from the Congregation Council any action that this team needs to take, and report to the Congregation Council on behalf of this team. The team shall meet regularly – monthly meetings are suggested.
The responsibilities and duties of the Evangelism and Membership Team include, but are not limited to:
1. Study and learn about evangelism and make use of conference workshop and training materials provided by the conference, synod, or ELCA.
2. Promote and support evangelism in the congregation and organizations within the congregation.
3. Evaluate existing evangelism programs of the congregation and make revisions as necessary. Plan and execute new programs as needed.
4. Assist with publicity concerning our ministry by helping with seasonal invitations, signs, posters, or brochures for Lenten, Easter, Thanksgiving Eve, Advent, and Christmas worship services.
5. Plan and implement follow-up contact with visitors and provide information to prospective new members.
6. Plan and implement orientation and reception of new members in collaboration with the pastor.
7. Plan and implement activities to integrate new members into the congregation.
8. Work with other groups of the congregation to advocate for making the church building a hospitable place for anyone.
9. Prepare and submit a budget request to the Executive Committee for anticipated evangelism and membership expenses annually.
10. Oversee disbursement of the annual Evangelism and Membership Team budget.